Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Gluten-free pancakes

I spent the weekend in Roseburg and used it to go shopping for Joe. Not only are prices often lower but stores are closer so I can go to more and compare. Packed up my trunk with all kinds of gluten-free stuff to try. This morning was my first attempt. My mom has this pancake recipe we grew up calling "Best in the west" that we love. Bob's Red Mill makes a flour mix that can be substituted for wheat flour 1:1 so I used that. I added some vanilla and used cane sugar rather than brown. Put in a bit of agave syrup too. Bob's recommends adding Xanthan gum as well. I was nervous to try them since most things gluten free seem to have a bad texture or flavor. Since Joe really loves good food I hoped it would be something he'd enjoy rather than endure. When the moment came for the first bit we looked at each other, with smiles, commenting that these were some of the best pancakes we'd ever eaten! I almost cried...well, I actually did tear up. Maybe we will be able to live like this after all. Now all I need to do is figure out how to make my own baking mix for less than a buck a cup.

No comments: