Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Going to market to buy a fat pig...

We have been trying to eat fewer store-bought, refined foods with lots of chemicals in them. Not to any great extreme however. I refuse to give up Umpqua ice cream or diet coke so I know I will never be one of those who grows everything myself. I just want to think about what goes in my mouth first. So, if I decide that yes, I really do feel like I'll should take some Yellow #5 into my system today because it comes in the ice cream I'm craving, so be it. At least I know. I HAVE moved over to making all my own bread. It tastes far better anyway. I stick to store flour, not organic and I don't think we will ever grind our own. If we have 10 or so kids then maybe. Anyway, the point here is that we have a friend that raises pigs. We bought a half and are going to the butcher today to determine how we want it cut. We've never done this before with a pig. It seems to be a good thing to get closer to our food than a package on the shelf, to recognize the sacrifice of an animal life to feed us. Hopefully it will help us be more aware of what and how we eat.
I should probably get it tested for MRSA too, eh? Which reminds me of another story about Mad Cow and giving blood. I'll have to put that one up sometime.

No comments: